Building Community Through Art
To create a place in central Petaluma where:
- Visual artists present and market their arts;
- Regional and nationally recognized artists host exhibitions;
- Cultural performances draw local residents and visitors;
- Creativity and self-expression are fostered;
- Arts education is offered for people of all ages and means.
The Petaluma Arts Council began in June 1998, as a grassroots effort to acknowledge and celebrate local artists and their contributions and to involve the whole community in appreciation, involvement and recognition of art as an enriching component of our daily lives.
Ten years later—in September 2008—with the support of the City of Petaluma and a particularly generous donor, the Petaluma Arts Council opened the Arts Center, a 4,500 square foot facility located in the historic Railroad Depot Freight Building, next door to the Petaluma Visitors Center.